- Master of Counselling (City University of Seattle)
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology (Simon Fraser University)
- Certified Perinatal Mental Health Professional (PMH-C) (Postpartum Support International)
- Perinatal Mood Disorders Components of Care (Postpartum Support International)
- Advanced Perinatal Mental Health Psychotherapy (Postpartum Support International)
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy – Level 1
- Mindfulness – MBSR, MBCT, MSC
- Narrative Therapy
- Theraplay – Level 1
- Certified Trauma Professional (CTP) – Trauma Informed
I believe by human nature at the very core we all seek acceptance and connection. Be it connection to self, connection to others. We are relational beings, continuously learning and adapting to our environments, doing the best we can in any given moment. My approach to therapy is grounded in the principles of mindfulness which carry the attributes of non-judging, patience, curiosity with a beginner’s mind, trust, non-striving, acceptance and letting go of what no longer serves us well. I draw upon evidence-based therapeutic modalities with a trauma-informed lens to support my clients for what brings them in to counselling.
There is a quote by an ancient Persian Poet by the name of Hafiz that I came across during my journey as a graduate student which continues to deeply resonate for me. This quote, for me, speaks to why I choose the work I do each and every day:
“I wish I could show you when you are lonely or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being”.
So many of us have had moments in our lives where we have experienced loneliness, disconnect, sadness, isolation, hopelessness, helplessness, confusion, overwhelm whether for a brief moment or more. This is human, we can all relate to some degree, and yet many of us have a difficult time expressing, reaching out for help, or knowing where to turn during these moments. My purpose, at my core, is to offer each client a safe, warm, accepting space for sharing, for healing, for learning and growth/transformation, while sitting along-side to witness and support each of them in their individual process through their own unique journeys. I offer practical tools and strategies with process-oriented modalities including:
- MBCT – Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy
- MSC – Mindfulness Self-Compassion
- Narrative Therapy
- CBT – Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Gottman Method
Fun Fact About Shahinoor:
One of the most terrifying and spectacularly mesmerizing adventures Shahinoor has been on to date was ziplining across two miles (12 platforms) of mountain ranges in the tropical forests of the Dominican Republic.